The Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) is an Indian stock exchange located at Dalal Street, Mumbai (formerly Bombay). The BSE (formerly known as Bombay Stock Exchange Ltd.) is Asia’s first stock exchange. It claims to be the world’s fastest stock exchange, with a median trade speed of 6 microseconds. The BSE is the world’s 10th largest stock exchange with an overall market capitalization of more than $2.3 trillion on as of April 2018.
BSE is the first and largest securities market in India and was established in 1875 as the Native Share and Stock Brokers’ Association. Based in Mumbai, India, the BSE lists close to 6,000 companies and is one of the largest exchanges in the world, along with the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE), NASDAQ, London Stock Exchange Group, Japan Exchange Group, and Shanghai Stock Exchange.
Bombay Stock Exchange was founded by Premchand Roychand . He was one of the most influential businessmen in 19th-century Bombay. A man who made a fortune in the stockbroking business and came to be known as the Cotton King, the Bullion King or just the Big Bull. He was also the founder of the Native Share and Stock Brokers Association, an institution that is now known as the BSE.
While BSE Ltd is now synonymous with Dalal Street, it was not always so. The first venue of the earliest stock broker meetings in the 1850s was in rather natural environs – under banyan trees – in front of the Town Hall, where Horniman Circle is now situated. A decade later, the brokers moved their venue to another set of foliage, this time under banyan trees at the junction of Meadows Street and what is now called Mahatma Gandhi Road. As the number of brokers increased, they had to shift from place to place, but they always overflowed to the streets. At last, in 1874, the brokers found a permanent place, and one that they could, quite literally, call their own. The new place was, aptly, called Dalal Street.
The Bombay Stock Exchange is the oldest stock exchange in Asia. Its history dates back to 1855, when 22 stockbrokers would gather under banyan trees in front of Mumbai’s Town Hall. The location of these meetings changed many times to accommodate an increasing number of brokers. The group eventually moved to Dalal Street in 1874 and became an official organization known as “The Native Share & Stock Brokers Association” in 1875.
On August 31, 1957, the BSE became the first stock exchange to be recognized by the Indian Government under the Securities Contracts Regulation Act. In 1980, the exchange moved to the Phiroze Jeejeebhoy Towers at Dalal Street, Fort area. In 1986, it developed the S&P BSE SENSEX index, giving the BSE a means to measure the overall performance of the exchange. In 2000, the BSE used this index to open its derivatives market, trading S&P BSE SENSEX futures contracts. The development of S&P BSE SENSEX options along with equity derivatives followed in 2001 and 2002, expanding the BSE’s trading platform.
Historically an open outcry floor trading exchange, the Bombay Stock Exchange switched to an electronic trading system developed by CMC Ltd. in 1995. It took the exchange only 50 days to make this transition. This automated, screen-based trading platform called BSE On-Line Trading (BOLT) had a capacity of 8 million orders per day. The BSE has also introduced a centralized exchange-based internet trading system, BSEWEBx.co.in to enable investors anywhere in the world to trade on the BSE platform.
At par with international standards, BSE Ltd. has been a pioneer in several areas over the decades and has many firsts and key achievements to its credit. BSE is the first exchange in India to
- Launch a special platform for trading in SME securities
- Introduce Equity Derivatives
- Launch a Free Float Index – S&P BSE SENSEX
- Launch Exchange Enabled Internet Trading Platform
- Obtain ISO certification for a stock exchange
- Exclusive facility for financial training – BSE Institute Ltd.
- Launch its website in Hindi and regional languages
- Host the popular opening-bell ceremony in Indian capital markets
- Launch mobile-based trading in India in Sept 2010
- Become securities market infrastructure member of SWIFT in India and provide corporate actions to custodians in ISO 15022 format
- Launched S&P BSE SENSEX Realized S&P BSE Volatility (REALVOL) Index in Nov 2010
Besides the above, BSE has taken large strides in product and service innovation for the benefit of its members and investors, notable ones being
- Launch of a reporting platform for corporate bonds
- Launch of the S&P BSE IPO index and S&P BSE PSU website
- Revamp of its website with wide range of new investor-friendly features
- Launch of trading in S&P BSE SENSEX futures on EUREX and leading exchanges of the BRICS nation bloc
- Launched Smart Order Routing for members and investors
- Introduced SACT (SMS alert & Complaint Tracking system)
- Launched co-location facility at BSE premises in November 2010
- Reduction in membership fees to Rs. 10 lakh for new memberships to promote financial access and inclusion
- Launch of web-based mutual fund trading platform for investors
Awards & Recognitions
As a pioneering financial institution in the Indian capital market, BSE has won several awards and recognitions that acknowledge the work done and progress made.
- IT Genius Awards 2017’ in the category ‘Data Centre Excellence’ for setup of the India INX Data Centre by CORE (Centre of Recognition & Excellence)
- Digital Innovation Award 2017 for the Social Media Analytics Project by Netmagic
- Business World Digital Leadership and CIO Award
- The IDC Digital Transformation Awards 2017
- The Best Exchange of the year award for equity and currency derivatives in Tefla’s
- Commodity Economic Outlook Award 2017.
- Best Brand award 2017 by Economic Times
- CIO POWER LIST 2017
- Best Corporate film encompassing Vision, History, Value and Spirit of Excellence award, Best Corporate film on Employer Branding award and Most Influential HR Leaders in India award at World HRD Congress 2017.
- Best Exchange of the year’ award at 4th India Bullion & Jewellery awards 2017.
- Red Hat Innovation Awards 2016 by Red Hat Solutions.
- Skoch Achiever Award 2016 for SME Enablement.
- Best IT Implementation Award 2016 in the “Most Complex Project Category” by PCQuest.
- InfoSec Maestros Awards 2016
- Lions CSR Precious Awards 2016
- Golden Peacock Award 2015
- CIO Power List 2015
- SKOCH Rennaissance Award 2014 for Contribution to Economy.
- SKOCH Rennaissance Award 2014 for Corporate Social Responsibility.
- Netmagic Innovative Champion Award – IT Consolidation growth & Scalability 2014
- India Innovative Awards- Big Data Innovation 2014.
- ET Now – CISCO Technology Awards 2014.
- Unicom –India Top 50 companies with best software 2014.
- HR was awarded with Asia’s Best Employer Brand Awards at Singapore in two categories in August 2014.
- Asia’s Best Employer Brand Award.
- CHRO of the Year Award.
- Lokmat HR Leadership Award at Mumbai in June-2014.
- 50 most talented global HR leaders in Asia at the World HRD congress at Mumbai in February-2014.
- FIICI-Frames Best Animation Film-International Category for the Investor Education television commercial.
- India Innovation Award for Big Data Implementation.
- ICICI Lombard & ET Now Risk Manager Award in BFSI Category.
- SKOCH Order of Merit for E-Boss for qualifying among India’s Best 2013.
- Indian Merchant Chamber Award in the Large Enterprise Category for use of Information Technology.
- Best Managed Financial Derivatives Exchange in the Asia Pacific by the The Asian Banker.
- The Golden Peacock Global CSR Award for its initiatives in Corporate Social Responsibility.
- BSE has won NASSCOM – CNBC-TV18’s IT User Awards, 2010 in Financial Services category.
- BSE has won Skoch Virtual Corporation 2010 Award in the BSE StAR MF category.
- Responsibility Award (CSR), by the World Council of Corporate Governance.
- Annual Reports and Accounts of BSE have been awarded the ICAI awards for excellence in financial reporting for four consecutive years from 2006 onwards.
- Human Resource Management at BSE has won the Asia – Pacific HRM awards for its efforts in employer branding through talent management at work, health
Listed Companies on NSE
Here are the List of Top 100 Companies listed on NSE on the basis of Market Capitalization –
|Rank||Security Name||Market Capitalization (Cr.)|
|1||TATA CONSULTANCY SERVICES LTD.||696743.25|
|2||RELIANCE INDUSTRIES LTD.||654084.44|
|3||HDFC BANK LTD||535420.64|
|4||HINDUSTAN UNILEVER LTD.||344966.87|
|6||HOUSING DEVELOPMENT FINANCE CORP.LTD.||311732.08|
|8||MARUTI SUZUKI INDIA LTD.||267948.03|
|9||KOTAK MAHINDRA BANK LTD.||250349.50|
|10||STATE BANK OF INDIA||239803.67|
|11||OIL AND NATURAL GAS CORPORATION LTD.||204946.77|
|12||ICICI BANK LTD.||191344.76|
|13||LARSEN & TOUBRO LTD.||180864.91|
|14||COAL INDIA LTD.||166203.38|
|15||INDIAN OIL CORPORATION LTD.||165295.00|
|16||BHARTI AIRTEL LTD.||147184.27|
|17||SUN PHARMACEUTICAL INDUSTRIES LTD.||133063.25|
|18||AXIS BANK LTD.||131797.72|
|19||BAJAJ FINANCE LIMITED||130447.33|
|21||HCL TECHNOLOGIES LTD.||125871.77|
|22||HINDUSTAN ZINC LTD.||122513.12|
|23||ASIAN PAINTS LTD.||120321.77|
|24||INDUSIND BANK LTD.||117364.22|
|26||MAHINDRA & MAHINDRA LTD.||109848.49|
|27||POWER GRID CORPORATION OF INDIA LTD.||102460.68|
|28||ULTRATECH CEMENT LTD.||99381.90|
|29||BAJAJ FINSERV LTD.||95311.98|
|30||HDFC Standard Life Insurance Company Ltd||95052.84|
|31||NESTLE INDIA LTD.||94889.46|
|32||AVENUE SUPERMARTS LTD||92969.87|
|33||BHARAT PETROLEUM CORPORATION LTD.||91412.31|
|34||TATA MOTORS LTD.||88511.67|
|36||BAJAJ AUTO LTD.||81976.23|
|37||JSW STEEL LTD.||80505.53|
|38||EICHER MOTORS LTD.||80415.14|
|39||GODREJ CONSUMER PRODUCTS LTD.||79344.23|
|40||TITAN COMPANY LIMITED||77090.91|
|41||YES BANK LTD.||76738.95|
|42||GAIL (INDIA) LTD.||76559.66|
|43||ADANI PORTS AND SPECIAL ECONOMIC ZONE LTD.||75972.87|
|44||HERO MOTOCORP LTD.||72526.21|
|45||BRITANNIA INDUSTRIES LTD.||71626.69|
|46||DABUR INDIA LTD.||68142.48|
|47||SBI LIFE INSURANCE COMPANY LTD||67450.00|
|48||TECH MAHINDRA LTD.||67109.79|
|49||GRASIM INDUSTRIES LTD.||66536.22|
|50||MOTHERSON SUMI SYSTEMS LTD.||64554.97|
|51||BANDHAN BANK LTD||64005.91|
|52||GENERAL INSURANCE CORPORATION OF INDIA||63671.56|
|53||TATA STEEL LTD.||62880.38|
|54||ICICI Prudential Life Insurance Company Ltd||55878.98|
|56||ZEE ENTERTAINMENT ENTERPRISES LTD.||54117.29|
|57||SHREE CEMENT LTD.||53268.38|
|58||PIDILITE INDUSTRIES LTD.||53224.58|
|59||THE NEW INDIA ASSURANCE COMPANY LTD||52946.12|
|60||BHARTI INFRATEL LTD.||51502.34|
|61||INDIABULLS HOUSING FINANCE LTD||50037.20|
|62||HINDALCO INDUSTRIES LTD.||49952.40|
|64||HINDUSTAN PETROLEUM CORPORATION LTD.||48030.89|
|65||UNITED SPIRITS LTD.||47518.54|
|66||PIRAMAL ENTERPRISES LTD.||45857.86|
|67||INTER GLOBE AVIATION LTD||45183.18|
|69||CADILA HEALTHCARE LTD.||42091.18|
|71||ASHOK LEYLAND LTD.||39712.27|
|72||AMBUJA CEMENTS LTD.||39176.78|
|73||DR.REDDY’S LABORATORIES LTD.||38436.00|
|75||BAJAJ HOLDINGS & INVESTMENT LTD.||35815.92|
|76||AUROBINDO PHARMA LTD.||35655.41|
|79||ORACLE FINANCIAL SERVICES SOFTWARE LTD.||34710.90|
|80||STEEL AUTHORITY OF INDIA LTD.||34052.61|
|82||UNITED BREWERIES LTD.||33813.45|
|83||SHRIRAM TRANSPORT FINANCE CO.LTD.||33686.94|
|84||HAVELLS INDIA LTD.||33312.69|
|85||ICICI LOMBARD GENERAL INSURANCE COMPANY Ltd||33216.03|
|86||SUN TV NETWORK LTD.||33109.02|
|88||BANK OF BARODA||32301.75|
|89||PROCTER & GAMBLE HYGIENE & HEALTH CARE LTD.||32274.57|
|90||L&T FINANCE HOLDINGS LTD.||32141.63|
|91||COLGATE-PALMOLIVE (INDIA) LTD.||32019.51|
|93||PETRONET LNG LTD.||31470.00|
|94||CONTAINER CORPORATION OF INDIA LTD.||30613.39|
|95||HINDUSTAN AERONAUTICS LTD||30487.78|
|96||MAHINDRA & MAHINDRA FINANCIAL SERVICES LTD.||30245.77|
|97||ADITYA BIRLA CAPITAL LTD||30211.71|
|98||PAGE INDUSTRIES LTD.||29411.26|
|99||LARSEN & TOURBO INFOTECH LTD||29028.45|
|100||BHARAT FORGE LTD.||28330.39|